As I said recently, Mr D was fiinally offered a job with the Ministry of Justice about three weeks ago. The job is as a Court Usher at the county court in a town called Basingstoke about fifteen miles from us.
The job involves various duties including:
- preparing the courtroom
- meeting and greeting court users and visitors
- keeping people informed of changes to hearing times
- checking that witnesses, defendants and lawyers are present
- calling defendant and witnesses into court
- directing the taking of oaths
- labelling evidence and passino the judge and jury
- passing messages between lawyers and legal advisers
- keeping order in the public areas
It's funny to think it's such a huge step away from what he used to do - co-ordination of cancer treatments - and yet the core competencies are virtually the same - dealing with people in stressful and emotional situations, and co-ordination/organisation skills. He's really excited about entering this new phase in his life!
He finally got his police check through yesterday, so we're hoping that means he'll hear about a start date soon.
Apparently, he has to wear black legal robes when the court is in session - there's one for the selfie stick!!!! For that reason, he will hereinafter be known by his new name, coined by his best friend Martyn ... Gandalf the twonk :)
In other news - and on the subject of Winchester ...